10 April 2010

dress for success!

So the cupcakes were wonderful! I ended up bringing most of them to softball practice on Thursday night, and I brought the rest to Bruster's (the ice cream place where one of my kids works) and gave a cupcake to everyone who was working there.

OH YEAH, did I mention that I'm an assistant to the outfield coach on the St. T's youth summer softball team? I know, right?! I told one of my mentors from college that I'm doing this, and he said (and this is a direct quote), "You will be an awesome softball coach. Or at least comic relief, which you do pretty well." Yup...that about sums it up. Moving on...

Today, I tried a recipe for homemade flour tortillas. They're super easy to make and super delicious! I'm really loving this foray into the world of cookin' stuff I've never cooked before! Maybe I'll try some exciting crock pot concoction next. The thing is, I have to be very calculated whenever I take the time to actually cook stuff, because there's only one of me...so whatever I make has to be easily refrigerate-able (is there a better word for that?) and/or freezable so I don't end up wasting a bunch of food and money! Because wasting food and money is LAMESAUCE to the EXTREME!

Here's the recipe for...

Flour Tortillas!

2 1/4 c flour (I used the regular all-purpose stuff, but I'd be interested in trying a wheat flour of some sort just for funzies)
2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp salt (I thought this was a bit too much, though, so maybe cut a little)
2 tsp vegetable oil
a titch over 3/4 c. hot milk

Put the milk in the microwave for 60 seconds and leave it until you need it.
Measure out all the dry ingredients into a large bowl. Add in vegetable oil and mix it all together a bit.
Slowly mix in the hot milk until the dough ball comes away clean. Adjust with more or less milk and/or additional flour (but not too much!).
Mix the dough for 3-4 minutes, then turn it out onto a floured surface and knead it once or twice to shape it some. [I actually overlooked that entire sentence when I made them, so I didn't mix it for a full 3-4 minutes or knead it at all...no wonder it was so sticky! Oh well...ZOOPSIES!]
Divide the dough into 12 equal balls. Roll each ball into a 6-inch circle on a lightly floured surface (I don't have a roller, though, so I just pinched them out until they were thin enough) and cook them on a griddle (or a frying pan--that's what I used and it worked just fine!), roughly 30 seconds for each side.

Voila! And there's so much you can do with these little guys! You can make open faced sandwiches or a little flatbread salad, or you can slap some peanut butter on there for a little afternoon snack! I'm going to experiment and see if it would work for a grilled cheese sandwich or even just straight-up toast. We'll see!

Coolio...well, I'm going to go be awesome now (or should I say, keep being awesome, since I'm always in a state of awesomeness...HAHA). Love you, miss you, blah blah blah!

No comments:

Post a Comment