30 May 2010

grid project - week 1

What? A title that actually has something to do with the topic of the post? Jessie, that's BANANAS!

Meh, I just figure that with something like the Grid Project, it'll be easier to keep track of (and you can call me out/harass me if I skip a week or something, haha).

So let's get on with it, shall we? I am currently five days into the Project and going strong. Here's a look at my exciting week:

Tuesday, May 25: Began the Grid Project.
I figure I can put this as a legitimate activity, because I had to make a giant grid to put on my wall...and I've really never done anything like that before, so I figure that making the decision to start the Project can count. :)

Wednesday, May 26: Planted some flowers in a pot and put them in my window.
Pansies! I bought them at a local farmers market and then went and got myself a pot and some organic dirt...err, potting soil? Either way, the end result is the same: they're in a pot, in some dirt. I did have a bit of a bug problem when I first got them, but I think that's pretty much under control. What I love about pansies is how they communicate. I mean, I've never had flowers before (only green plants), so I don't know if this is a general flower-thing, or a pansy-thing, OR just a these-particular-flowers-thing...but they definitely get reeeeeally droopy when they're thirsty. The first day after I potted them, I woke up to find them basically flopped over on their side going, "Waaaaaa...ter..." in a raspy, I'm-in-the-desert-and-will-certainly-perish kind of way. But then I watered them and an hour later they were all like, "HOORAY! Let's be ALIVE!" So there you go.

Thursday, May 27: Ate Lebanese food.
If I were being honest, I'd tell you that I actually ate Lebanese food on Wednesday while I was on what I didn't know was a terribly awkward and horrible blind date until we were about to leave, but I'm just...not going there. Anyway, I did have leftovers on Thursday, so I figure it's close enough. I had an exciting shish kabob pita roll at a place called Aladdin's Eatery, and it was really intense. I mean, it had turnip in it. Turnips are purple, and kind of look like purple lettuce when you cut them up. For anyone who knows me fairly well, you may or may not know that I am very prejudiced against purple lettuce...I always pick it out of my salad, even the smallest little bits. I don't know why, but I've been doing it ever since I can remember. It's kind of a complex, I guess. But I did not pick out any of the purple turnip in my pita roll (well, except one, and then I decided not to do it anymore, for the sake of my personal growth and development).

Friday, May 28: Made homemade cookie cutters.
This one's pretty self-explanatory, I think. And you can make some too...here's how! I made some pretty cool shapes, based on the recommendations of some lovely folks on Facebook: a star, a tree, a turtle, and a hat.

Saturday, May 29: Went shopping at Trader Joe's for the first time.
I've heard about this lovely store that has lots of good things...lots of naturals and organics and whatnot. And I know for a fact that they have excellent dark chocolate covered cranberries, because my friend Christa sent them to me once (and my life will never be the same)! I feel like Trader Joe's is a good place if you need something extra fancy (or special...like gluten-free stuff), but there's no way that I could ever shop there on a regular basis. Everything there is...kinda expensive. I also bought some quinoa (it's pronounced keen-wa), and I'm hoping to make some chicken quinoa soup for the Grid Project in the near future.

Okay, I'll post another GP update next Sunday. For now...I think I'm going to try a baguette recipe.

3 comments:

  1. Busy week for you, lady! Trader Joe's is definitely not the place to do all your shopping but I do buy a few important items there: chocolate covered cranberries, gluten free waffles, and these awesome popsicles with real fruit in them! LOVE LOVE!

    ReplyDelete
  2. not gonna lie... i got to the part about the blind date and the rest of your post was like, blah blah blah. i don't know if i can re-read it until you tell me about your awkward blind date story. because i'm pretty sure that merits an entire post in itself. :o)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I second that notion from SG :) wanna know more!!

    ReplyDelete