21 May 2010

orange soda floats

Sorry it's been a while. Life is fun like that.

I have an ant problem in my kitchen. Big time. I know where they're coming from--there's a gap behind the stove, and they crawl up from there onto the countertop and crawl along the edge to the sink. They only go that far for a reason, though. Like cookie dough. Man oh man, do they love cookie dough...especially if it's the last little bit in the bowl soaking in the sink. Trust me, I make cookies enough to notice the corresponding behavioral patterns of ants. Most of the time, I'm pretty good about cleaning up after myself...but the ants usually come out if I make a late night batch and forget to wash up my dishes before I head to bed.

BUT! I have found a solution. I can't remember where I read/heard it, but ants hate cinnamon. Like, HATE it. They also really don't like lemon juice. So I put cinnamon and lemon juice all around the area where they normally come out. I know I'm treating the symptoms instead of the cause, but I tried those little poison houses and they really just didn't work...plus all those chemicals kind of freak me out. At least with the cinnamon and lemon juice, I don't see them nearly as often. So that is something interesting happening in my life right now.

My friend Erika (from high school!) came to visit overnight last weekend! She came here with two of her aunts--one of them was here for a physical therapy conference or something, and the other was with us on Saturday. It was super exciting to see Erika and show her around Pittsburgh...even though we took detours the entire time because I still can't quite figure out how to get from one place to another in this ridiculous city. We went to the Pittsburgh Zoo and the Carnegie Science Center (which was awesome), caught the view from Mt. Washington, and of course made a stop at Primanti Bros. in the Strip District before bidding Erika and her aunt farewell. It was a lovely way to spend a Saturday in the Burgh!

Other than that, things have been pretty normal. I can't believe how fast these last few months have gone by! It legitimately kind of freaks me out.

Okay, well...I'm going down to South Side for St. Teresa's annual women's retreat. The Passionist Fathers at St. Paul of the Cross Retreat Center put it on every year, and one of my "moms" offered to pay my way, for which I am super grateful! So I guess I'll catch you on the flip side! I'll try to appease my loyal followers (coughcoughSARAcoughcough) and write more often upon my return.

PS: I am VERY excited about farmers market season in the Burgh! It's finally here!!!

1 comment:

  1. Good job. :o)
    We have an ant problem in our house right now too. I'll have to tell my mom about the cinnamon and lemon juice trick. We get huuuuge ants. It's like they crawled into a vat of steroid juice before crawling into our kitchen. Gross. Now if only you had a trick to get rid of the mosquitos.
    Another bug story--today at dinner, my sister pointed out to me that I had a spider in my hair. My initial reaction was to FREAK OUT. But then I realized that if I freaked out, the little booger would have gotten in my bratwurst, and no one wants that. So I calmly instructed my sister to get it out for me and the problem was solved. Anyway. That's it.

    ReplyDelete